Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
Like Tree20Likes

Discuss Teacup/Mini/Micro Pigs! at the Off Topic forum - Other Topics.

Since losing my dog of 17 years last summer I've been throwing around the idea ...
  1. #1
    Senior Member TotallyMoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    337

    Thumbs up Teacup/Mini/Micro Pigs!

    Since losing my dog of 17 years last summer I've been throwing around the idea of getting a pet. He was a beagle and as much as i love the breed it will never be the same. I've since found myself in a full time job (regular hours vs. my last job which was nights and weekends) and have been doing quite a bit of reading about these Mini Pigs.

    Does anybody have them? Love them? Hate them? I'm just looking for some feedback.

    I live with my parents and do have other animals in the house. Currently a senior greyhound, a bulldog and 4 cats.

    From what I've read, they're intelligent, loyal and great pets. My boyfriend loves the idea (possibly just the idea of taking it for a walk and saying "that'll do pig. that'll do...") and my parents can be convinced. (obviously i wouldn't go ahead with this without their permission)

    I am also aware that i would have to look into bylaws in my city.

    So, lets hear it, stories, pictures, rants...

  2. #2
    Senior Member+ Horselove4ever9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,382
    I have a potbelly and absolutely adore her. Just a warning though that teacup and micro pigs absolutely do NOT exist. It's a marketing scam and they are usually either inbred to stay small or they are underfed and malnourished. Most potbellys will get anywhere from 60-150 lbs, sometimes even bigger it really just depends.

    They are extremely intelligent and can easily get into anything. Fern (my pig) can open sliding doors, knock things over, pull books out of my bookshelf, and she will rip up any paper I have laying in my floor. They can also get bored extremely easy and a bored pig is a destructive pig.

    I got Fern when she was exactly 6 weeks old. The first couple weeks she was very stand offish, would run away if I approached her on the floor, squealed bloody murder for the first 15 minutes or so when I held her, and so on. They aren't like puppies and do take a while to start warming up to people. So for the first couple months I had her I just spent as much time with her as possible which was extremely easy since I'm home schooled. She was potty trained with in a week, but I left puppy pads out since she would still be left alone for a couple hours while I was at the horses. I would say after about a month of having her she fully stopped having accidents in my room. Which brings up another point. Pig pee and poop is pretty messy if you have carpet and it does smell pretty bad. We have tile and hard wood floors throughout our house so it was fairly easy to clean up, but I can only imagine it would be a pain on carpet.

    They do need a lot of space and time outside to play. Fern spends hours outside in our backyard rooting around in the grass and rolling in the dirt. Sometimes she even plays in the sprinklers or rain. As a result from that she doesn't really root a whole bunch inside. In fact most of the time she's so tired she just naps.

    I will say though that if you don't have a lot of time to spend with them they can get destructive and don't turn out to be very good pets. My aunt and cousin got a piglet and it was a horror story for them. My cousin is at school all day and my aunt and uncle both work full time jobs, so the piglet was alone for upwards to 7 or 8 hours a day. Needless to say the pig was not happy. It rooted up carpet, messed everywhere because they weren't able to potty train her since they weren't home often, and the pig remained extremely stand offish and scared of people because there was no one to spend time with her. The piglet lasted about 3 days and they took it back to the farm it came from because they just couldn't do it anymore, which was the right choice because it wasn't fair to the piglet and they just didn't have the time.

    Obviously you want to make sure your dogs will get along with a pig too. Bigger dogs can be extremely intimidating to pigs because they are prey animals. It took Fern months to get used to our K9 dog Karma and even now she will sometimes run from him and squeal if he startles her. You'll also want to check bylaws and things too just to make sure you won't run into legal problems. A lot of suburbs don't allow pigs because they are considered farm animals. My neighborhood is like that, but we have a privacy fence, so no one really knows we have her or if they do they don't seem to mind.

    When you get your piglet make sure to ask whether or not its teeth have been cut because if they haven't you will need to get them done. I also wouldn't recommend getting a piglet until it's about 6-8 weeks of age. I've heard and see people get younger piglets because of the whole micro/teacup pig scam. Pigs will also need to have their hooves done like horses, just not as often. You will also need to clean their ears. I'm not exactly sure how frequently because it might just be Fern, but her ears get dirty quick and I usually clean them about every 3 weeks or so. Also over feeding is a huge issue. Most potbellys I've seen are extremely overweight and while people say pigs are pigs, it's not good for their joints or their eyesight. Fat pigs will often have fat rolls that overtime cover their eyes and blind them, along with the weight putting a huge strain on their joints. Fern is currently getting a little lower than a cup of feed am and pm and she is a good healthy weight.

    The main thing it's going to come down to is time and patience. If you don't have a lot of time in your schedule to spend with your pig I really wouldn't recommend getting one, especially if it's going to be more of a house pig than a barn pig. They do require a lot of attention and training and without it they become rather horrid and destructive pets. Likewise with patience. Pigs take a while to warm up and really bond with people and you'll need to be aware, whoever the pig spends the most time with is going to be the person that pig strongly bonds with. Fern will follow me around like a puppy, but I'm the only one. She allows my mom to cuddle her and pet her, but if my brothers or dad approach her she's hiding and squealing because they don't spend a lot of time with her and she doesn't trust them.

    I think that's about everything I can offer, but if you've got any questions feel free to ask. I did tons of research for nearly 3 years before I got my first pet pig.

    Here are some pictures and a video of Fern




    The very first day we got her


    And a video of her tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHoof View Post
    Why do I like horses?
    Because obviously, I am insane.
    Rest in Peace Fancy <3
    Prince, Waldo & Tank

  3. #3
    Senior Member TotallyMoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    337
    Mostly research is the phase I'm in now. I was a little wary about the "micro" pigs, and would definitely be looking into paying the money and getting a pig from a breeder (as opposed to just a farm...) I still have to figure out if my lifestyle would be a good fit for an animal as i am a busy person.

    I think they seem like wonderful animals and have had success with pets in the past. All of our pets live a fairly fullfilling life (i had my beagle for 17 YEARS - our vet joked that he was just too unintelligent to know he should be dead!) I also have the understanding that they need a different health care than say, a cat or dog.

    I do have a slight feeling that boyfriend and i will likely end up with a farm somewhere (and possibly sometime soon) as we share a love for farmhouses and fixer-uppers.

    I appreciate all the insight and will likely be harrassing you with questions and for your opinion as things arise.

    Ps. your girl is very cute

  4. #4
    Senior Moderator
    ChestersMomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Horselove4ever9 View Post
    I have a potbelly and absolutely adore her. Just a warning though that teacup and micro pigs absolutely do NOT exist. It's a marketing scam and they are usually either inbred to stay small or they are underfed and malnourished.
    Sorry to be OT, but could you post a link or PM me more info about this? I was under the impression they were a very real thing, much like miniature horses and dogs. I thought they were selectively bred out that way. (not saying you are wrong, just want to read up )
    A woman's passion is her greatest strength.
    Chester----1997 OTTB



  5. #5
    Senior Member+ Horselove4ever9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,382
    It might also be worth checking out to see if you have any pig shelters in your area. A lot of pigs get dumped when people realize that their supposed teacup or micro pig gets a whole lot bigger than a chihuahua. The plus side of rescuing also means you have the chance at picking out an older already trained pig and you won't have to worry about leash traing or potty training.

    They are certainly very rewarding and wonderful pets if you have the time for them. You don't really have to be home with them 24/7, but if you do work long hours or are frequently gone then they can be harder to bond with and train. That's where the benefit of rescuing an already trained pig would come in too.

    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I don't mind one bit And thank you, I absolutely adore her haha.
    Appylvr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHoof View Post
    Why do I like horses?
    Because obviously, I am insane.
    Rest in Peace Fancy <3
    Prince, Waldo & Tank

  6. #6
    Senior Member+
    angie j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ON, Canada
    Posts
    10,623
    Seen the `micro mini`Paris Hilton got.. Yes.. a bit bigger than a chihuahua



    I will tell you this much. I answered an add for a `tea cup`pig and asked if they would guarantee in writing that if the pig grew `past`the described size requirement they would take back the pig and reimburse me my money. They declined... go figure. Genetics is like that. Can you `guarantee`size. I`m 5`2`` my son is 6`1.

    I`d do some serious research before I spent the dollars on a pig. I have one here that is a rescue that the owners paid $350 for. Pig Rescues are as full as horse rescues.

    BTW google `pig`and you`ll find threads here on HGS
    .....well, I've tried arguing with a brick before and found it more productive than getting involved in these threads Ambrose

  7. #7
    Senior Member+
    trish12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Colorado, ontop my little green star :)
    Posts
    10,337
    ^^^ WAIT....which one is the pig ??? JUST KIDDING....of course they would use a celeb to promote these cute little guys !!!
    BP
    R.I.P Peanut. I miss you dearly. passed 12. 31. 2012


    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my panties.

  8. #8
    Senior Moderator
    ChestersMomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,229
    I looked around a little and found a few breeder websites. Apparently they have a few different classifications on size, but most tell you up front the pig won't stay 5 lbs forever. The best one I found had a health guarantee, a buyback policy, and they seemed to be all around pretty upstanding. I imagine there are the scam artists out there who will try to pull the wool, but I think any responsible pet owner should have the smarts to do a little research and not be blinding by a marketing scheme.
    A woman's passion is her greatest strength.
    Chester----1997 OTTB



  9. #9
    Senior Member+ Horselove4ever9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,382
    Quote Originally Posted by ChestersMomma View Post
    Sorry to be OT, but could you post a link or PM me more info about this? I was under the impression they were a very real thing, much like miniature horses and dogs. I thought they were selectively bred out that way. (not saying you are wrong, just want to read up )
    Mini pigs do exist. It's just another name frequently given to pot belly pigs since they really are considered mini compared to their commercial pig cousins. Teacup and micro pigs however do not. Most breeders try to pass them off as staying little like 15-20 pounds and that just doesn't really happen. I, myself, have never seen a potbelly that was under 50 pounds. One of the websites I came across was http://www.teacuppig.info/.

    As the website suggested potbelly pigs have a fairly early sexual maturation. They can be breeding and having litters of pigs as early as 5 or 6 months. Which means some breeders may show you the mom and dad and say your pig will stay small like them, when in reality the mom and dad are still babies themselves. Most of the pictures you see of little pigs in teacups are often newborn piglets too. In some pictures you can still see umbilical cords. Any piglet will fit in a teacup when they are first born, but they will grow up to get a lot bigger. Fern for instance will probably mature to be about the size of a medium dog height wise, but will probably weigh about 80 or more pounds because pigs are very compact and dense.

    Most shelters for pigs will often tell you too that teacup/micro pigs don't exist because most of the pigs they have come from those cases. People go out and buy their teacup piggy and expect it to stay small and when it gets big they dump them because they weren't prepared for the size. That's where a ton of research comes in handy.

    When I first wanted a pig it was because I had heard about the teacup/micro pigs and wanted one. A quick google search told me otherwise though and I realized that they were just a myth. Here's a video from one of the youtubers I follow. They have two potbelly pigs, Prissy and Bomber, and they frequently go to rescues and volunteer. This one features pigs that were supposed to be teacup/micro pigs along with some information in the description bar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWNufsWO1NU
    ChestersMomma and Appylvr like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHoof View Post
    Why do I like horses?
    Because obviously, I am insane.
    Rest in Peace Fancy <3
    Prince, Waldo & Tank

  10. #10
    Senior Member TotallyMoi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    337
    Just to clarify, i was not expecting "chihuahua sized" i was expecting medium(ish) dog size. and again would be doing some extensive research, lots of questions and multiple visits. alot of the "breeders" i'm seeing are charging upwards of 1500$ per pig (!!!!!!!) and im not throwing that kind of money into something im not CERTAIN about.

    I really do like the idea, have spent my life around horses, dogs, cats as well as worked as a vet tech. I do understand how much work an animal is and refuse to be someone who jumps in because "its just so cute" when i'm not positive i can maintain the quality and structure of life that they deserve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Any One Own Micro Mini Pigs?
    By leviijeans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 07:41 AM
  3. Mini Pigs............advice Please
    By DressageGirl in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-30-2006, 03:31 PM
  4. Dumb new mini horse owner needs advice on bridal path.
    By MagicHorse in forum Horse Grooming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 03:45 PM
  5. minis
    By crazi4horses in forum Horse Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •