Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Discuss Science Fair at the Off Topic forum - Other Topics.

okay, so I have to do a science fair project and REALLYYYY want to do ...
  1. #1
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginiaaa
    Posts
    222
    Blog Entries
    1

    Science Fair

    okay, so I have to do a science fair project and REALLYYYY want to do something related to horses. I have some ideas but have no idea how to go around "conducting" the experiment. It would be super cool if I could do something related to jumping but i dont think thats gonna happen

  2. #2
    Senior Member+
    sirius-dressage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    3,971
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mmm...I would try and look for something that isn't related to horses, honestly. Jumping isn't exactly something I would consider worth-while if I was to grade high school science fair projects. Try to choose something based on one of the natural sciences: chemistry, biology, physics (or physical science), or geology so you can really get out of this project what you are supposed to...which is a better understaning of scientific concepts, how to conduct an experiemental test, analyze data, as well as learning something about the natural world. You could do something with horses...so long as it was related somehow to their biological functions, behavior, etc. and something that was testable.

    There are lots of great books out there that can help you with ideas. I did a project in grade school on goldfish and the effects of black light...I'm not sure what I was testing, can't remember my results, and don't recommend working with live animals. My fish kept dying, some grew a really wierd fungus, I didn't get any results really I don't think.

    Plants are nice to work with, I think.
    I'm So Irish - Nova Dair - Bärenjäger
    --------------------
    We shall take care not to vex the horse, or cause it to abandon its affable gracefulness in disgust.
    For this is like the fragrance blossoms, which never again returns once it has vanished.

  3. #3
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginiaaa
    Posts
    222
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirius-dressage View Post
    Mmm...I would try and look for something that isn't related to horses, honestly. Jumping isn't exactly something I would consider worth-while if I was to grade high school science fair projects. Try to choose something based on one of the natural sciences: chemistry, biology, physics (or physical science), or geology so you can really get out of this project what you are supposed to...which is a better understaning of scientific concepts, how to conduct an experiemental test, analyze data, as well as learning something about the natural world. You could do something with horses...so long as it was related somehow to their biological functions, behavior, etc. and something that was testable.

    There are lots of great books out there that can help you with ideas. I did a project in grade school on goldfish and the effects of black light...I'm not sure what I was testing, can't remember my results, and don't recommend working with live animals. My fish kept dying, some grew a really wierd fungus, I didn't get any results really I don't think.

    Plants are nice to work with, I think.
    Thanks for the advice Im not in high school though, I am in 7th :]

  4. #4
    Senior Member+ SouthernJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    4,353
    You aren't allowed to use animals for a science fair unless a vet signs off on it.

    Good luck with whatever you decide! My mom is a science teacher; I'll see if she knows of something cool.
    Custom saddle pads, browbands, bridle bags, grooming totes and tons more!
    www.bitsnpieceshorsewear.com Also on Facebook and Instagram!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Horsed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernJumper View Post
    You aren't allowed to use animals for a science fair unless a vet signs off on it.

    Good luck with whatever you decide! My mom is a science teacher; I'll see if she knows of something cool.
    I have to use animals or plants. I do agriscience projects for FFA. I have used horses my last two years. When I was in elementary school and doing regular science fair I used my dog. Maybe some requirements are different, but I have always been either allowed or supposed to use animals.

  6. #6
    Senior Member+ SouthernJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    4,353
    Ah, I suppose FFA would be different from the typical science fair. Our state co-op won't allow vertebrae animals without a vet signature and supervision. The ISEF (some international science thing) just "frowns upon it". I suppose that's to stop the crazies from depriving them of water or something.
    Custom saddle pads, browbands, bridle bags, grooming totes and tons more!
    www.bitsnpieceshorsewear.com Also on Facebook and Instagram!

  7. #7
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Virginiaaa
    Posts
    222
    Blog Entries
    1
    I asked my teacher in class and we are allowed to use animals :] thanks for the input everyone!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Horsed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernJumper View Post
    Ah, I suppose FFA would be different from the typical science fair. Our state co-op won't allow vertebrae animals without a vet signature and supervision. The ISEF (some international science thing) just "frowns upon it". I suppose that's to stop the crazies from depriving them of water or something.
    Very good point.


    Anyway, to the OP, I will try to think of some horse related projects and post them here. I remember I always have so much trouble thinking of one that I can use horses with.

  9. #9
    Senior Member i luv my spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the u.s.
    Posts
    540
    idk if this would work, but maybe you could do something about the angles of a horse jumping, maybe that is physics of something!
    Beware of my attack puppy = Spirit!!!!


  10. #10
    Senior Member+
    sirius-dressage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    3,971
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by i luv my spirit View Post
    idk if this would work, but maybe you could do something about the angles of a horse jumping, maybe that is physics of something!
    That would be SO hard to manipulate...you'd have to do something on how the angle affects performance, you'd need either high speed photography or a very good video set up.

    Maybe rules have changed since I did science fair, I didn't realise there were restrictions on the use of live animals now. I think it's a good idea...looking back on my experiement now I'm not sure it was the greatest thing for the fish. Not sure I harmed them, but, still, I was 12 or 13 or something like that.
    I'm So Irish - Nova Dair - Bärenjäger
    --------------------
    We shall take care not to vex the horse, or cause it to abandon its affable gracefulness in disgust.
    For this is like the fragrance blossoms, which never again returns once it has vanished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Science Fair Help!
    By Vader2504 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 04:32 PM
  2. Science fair project
    By vmarsfreak in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-09-2007, 08:23 AM
  3. Science Fair, PLEASE HELP!!
    By Whatshername in forum For Kids Only
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 12:48 PM
  4. Science Fair--Please Help!
    By Ureventer in forum Horse Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 09:38 AM
  5. ..:Science Fair:..
    By brumby_babe in forum For Kids Only
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 07:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •