Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Discuss "Old Style" vs "New Style" tennessee walkers...loud breathing??? at the Horse Chat forum - Horse Forums.

I have never heard about it being normal in walkers. My cousin has a walker ...
  1. #21
    Senior Member+ joce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,796
    I have never heard about it being normal in walkers. My cousin has a walker she almost sold because of the loud nasally noises because all the other walker people she rode with insisted she can't handle trails and work. Never heard a one of them do it. She will go go go but the noise isn't after hard work but anytime. She ended up buying a second one who does not do it.

    Two vets have checked her out. We have thought her face looks a little off and she may have hit a fence or something when she was younger(no real scarring) obstructing her airway. But they kinda poo pooed that idea.

    There was an article recently in one of the horse magazines and it kind of sounded like it. Really worried me but I can't remember what it was called. Something about the cartilage supporting the airways wears down or paralyzes and the horse will suffocate eventually. The signs are the nassally noises.

    The vets told her to ignore it and some horses just do it. But I would have her checked out just to be careful. Funny thing with my cousins horse was whenever a vet comes out no matter how hard you work her she won't make the noise!

    If your looking at walkers these are the people my cousin goes riding with sometimes
    http://www.twhorses.com/
    I think theres are taller than her about 15 hand horses. Not that there are not a million walkers out there though!

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    844
    hmmm never heard of "old style" or "new style" sounds like a car I think ours must be old style, her sire is a good 17hh and her dam is about 15h maybe 16h, and she has a super BIG head lol! And very structured. She's 2 and she's already 15h, give or take a couple inches.
    And when she lays down (which she does all the time) she grunts. I've NEVER heard a horse grunt like her when laying down. We thought she might be collicing first time we went out to find her laying down lol. Silly horse


  3. #23
    Senior Member+
    draftlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyenne1193 View Post
    And when she lays down (which she does all the time) she grunts. I've NEVER heard a horse grunt like her when laying down. We thought she might be collicing first time we went out to find her laying down lol. Silly horse
    My walker cross is like that^ when he rolls, it sounds like he's going to die. It's as if he can't breathe when he lays down. He is 27 years old but still healthy.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Braided Horsehair jewelry by
    Cherished Equine Keepsakes created from your horse's tail hair

  4. #24
    Senior Member+
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,177
    [quote=Rant;4278492]
    Quote Originally Posted by CaitlynH View Post

    Yep, really. I gave up my TWH search when I realized that getting a TWH in this area in this state over 14.2 was impossible. I love all horses but if I am going to ride a horse I want a lot of horse beneath me. I'm one of those people. LOL
    Lol i'm the opposite, i'm a tiny thing and I feel uncomfortable on anything bigger than 15 hands. The only TWH that are that small that i've seen are actually half quarter horse.

  5. #25
    Senior Member+
    CrazyHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    19,507
    It's true that the old style is being bred out in walkers which is a real shame My TWH mare is a combination of old and new style and is just over 15 hands. Thankfully she inherited the good bone structure of the old style Walkers.
    The cry of a newborn baby
    The laughter of a child
    Every day that I am given
    Every breath I take...
    That's how I know.

  6. #26
    Senior Member+
    Rant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,911
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    It's true that the old style is being bred out in walkers which is a real shame My TWH mare is a combination of old and new style and is just over 15 hands. Thankfully she inherited the good bone structure of the old style Walkers.

    There is this woman in my area with a TWH stud. He is 14.2

    She has an ad out asking people with small TWH mares to let her breed to their mare for a new "Mini Walker" breed.

    I just wanted to roll my eyes out of my head.
    "Cause shes Rant. She can do things like that. " - WilsonF
    " Oh Rant...I just love how subtle you are " - CrazyHorse

  7. #27
    Senior Member+
    CrazyHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    19,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Rant View Post
    There is this woman in my area with a TWH stud. He is 14.2

    She has an ad out asking people with small TWH mares to let her breed to their mare for a new "Mini Walker" breed.

    I just wanted to roll my eyes out of my head.

    Oh brother!! The new designer breed I suppose
    The cry of a newborn baby
    The laughter of a child
    Every day that I am given
    Every breath I take...
    That's how I know.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by draftlover View Post
    My walker cross is like that^ when he rolls, it sounds like he's going to die. It's as if he can't breathe when he lays down. He is 27 years old but still healthy.
    Yeah! It scared us so bad! So weird. Nice to know it's a Tennessee Walker thing lol.


  9. #29
    Senior Member ImDunToImpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,449
    [quote=Rant;4278492]
    Quote Originally Posted by CaitlynH View Post

    Yep, really. I gave up my TWH search when I realized that getting a TWH in this area in this state over 14.2 was impossible. I love all horses but if I am going to ride a horse I want a lot of horse beneath me. I'm one of those people. LOL
    I believe you are right though, I personally like a horse 15hh or taller and it took me a long time to find one that I liked! Granted, Abby isn't perfect but she seems like a good horse for me!
    -------------
    7-19-10 - 2-3-11
    Rest In Peace my sweet baby Dora

  10. #30
    Senior Member+
    Rant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    6,911
    Blog Entries
    2
    [quote=ImDunToImpress;4280289]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rant View Post

    I believe you are right though, I personally like a horse 15hh or taller and it took me a long time to find one that I liked! Granted, Abby isn't perfect but she seems like a good horse for me!
    lol, well. Now you know why I like Friesians. Hehehe.



    Eric is a lot of horse too. He's about 16.1



    The quoting system seems all wonky today.
    "Cause shes Rant. She can do things like that. " - WilsonF
    " Oh Rant...I just love how subtle you are " - CrazyHorse

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ice, Iowa Style and my "boys"
    By BonnieM in forum Horse Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 09:39 AM
  2. "Large Fonts" style removed
    By ADMIN in forum Forum Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 12:42 PM
  3. "Old Style" vs "New Style" Quarter horses?
    By Kissitgoodbye in forum Horse Breeding
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05-19-2006, 04:09 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 05:52 AM
  5. "In style" Equipment?
    By jumpinhorselvr in forum Tack & Equipment
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 07:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •