I am looking at getting a miniature donkey when I move out to the farm, but I have some questions.
Any other tips and pointers out there would be awesome! I can't wait to have a donkey! It's gonna be AWESOME!
- Fencing - do you need different fencing for the mini donkeys? I plan on 60% wood rails and 40% barbed wire (no judging, it's what I can afford, and if strung properly can be relatively safe). Do you need to put extra rails or strands, or do you use mesh along the bottom? Or do you leave the fencing as is?
- Feed - I've read that you need to feed donkeys differently. What type of hay and grain do you feed your mini donkeys?
- Feet - do most farriers trim donkey feet? If trained properly, of course.
- Harness training - how hard is it, really? I would love to have a little cart and harness for my donkey, but don't want to rush or mess up his training. I somehow get the feeling I'll have a very young, unbroke donkey, or a middle aged halter broke one. That's all I've seen in my area, anyway.
- General training - what do you do with your donkey outside of harness training? I am thinking about doing lots of in-hand "trail" type courses. Also a lot of manners training. Any tips on training a donkey vs. training a horse?