Welcome to the HGS Horse Forum

The world's largest Horse Forum!

  •  » Over 7 Million posts & over 400,000 Equine Pictures
  •  » Discuss Horse Health, Training, Shows & Competitions, Grooming, Racing, Breeding, Tack, etc
  •  » Buy and Sell in our free horse classifieds.
  •  » If you want to join our 65,000+ members,

...then you're at exactly the right place!

YES! I want to register for free right now!

P.S.: Members don't see this box and also see fewer ads.   Active members receive free gifts!

Results 1 to 3 of 3

Discuss How toxic are mums to horses? at the Horse Health forum - Horse Forums.

Long story short, my horse took a bite of my mum plant today. I pulled ...
  1. #1
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    How toxic are mums to horses?

    Long story short, my horse took a bite of my mum plant today. I pulled as much of it out of his mouth that I could. I was riding him at the time, so might have missed some. I didn't think too much of it and we continued to go on our trail ride, which took about 45 minutes. I got to thinking about it once I got home so I googled if mums are toxic to horses and they are. Does anybody know how toxic? Should I be concerned?

    He lives at my mom's, about 20 miles from my house, so I can't just check on him whenever. I was there for probably 45 minutes to an hour after we got back from the ride, grained him and hayed him and he seemed fine. Am I just worrying too much? Do they have to eat a large amount before it begins effecting them?

  2. #2
    Full Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    I don't know. This is the website I got the information from: http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison.../chrysanthemum

    and: http://www.symptomfind.com/health/li...sonous-plants/

    Neither site says how much they would need to consume before any issues.

    I am hoping you are right, though!

  3. #3
    Senior Member+
    pantha11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Australia, Victoria.
    As for most toxins...they often tuck...(sink in at the flanks), dehydrate, become pale in the gums, with mums they can also salivate....if you are really worried...pm me have things you can use to get rid of the toxins in the body.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 07:20 PM
  2. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 10:28 AM
  3. So, how easy are goats to keep?
    By MelissaH in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-17-2008, 04:18 PM
  4. How important are manners to you??
    By mandiemoo in forum Horse Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 07:32 PM
  5. How important are ingredients to you?
    By Harmony in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 04:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts