Welcome to the HGS Horse Forum

The world's largest Horse Forum!

  •  » Over 7 Million posts & over 400,000 Equine Pictures
  •  » Discuss Horse Health, Training, Shows & Competitions, Grooming, Racing, Breeding, Tack, etc
  •  » Buy and Sell in our free horse classifieds.
  •  » If you want to join our 65,000+ members,

...then you're at exactly the right place!

YES! I want to register for free right now!

P.S.: Members don't see this box and also see fewer ads.   Active members receive free gifts!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Discuss Abandoned motorcycle.... no title... help? at the Off Topic forum - Other Topics.

Okay here is the story; my parents are real estate agents that specialize right now ...
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Blog Entries

    Abandoned motorcycle.... no title... help?

    Okay here is the story; my parents are real estate agents that specialize right now in Foreclosure's and Short Sales. They had a property about a year ago that had an abandoned motorcycle in it, and the people were LONG gone from the property basically deserted it... The company my parents work for told them to just take the Motorcycle, and they did. It's been sitting in our barn for a long time now....

    IS there a way to go about getting title on it? It has a tag, but the owner's its registered to are probable LONG out of the state....

    Basically it was abandoned, so wwyd?

    Any people who have any knowledge about this willing to give us some directions on what to do?

  2. #2
    Senior Moderator
    Sandra-A1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Just file for lost title......
    "It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." ~Dumbledore

  3. #3
    Senior Member+ KiereeAngel86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    centralia, wa
    Contact the state patrol or sherriff and tell them you have an abandoned and they can come do a report for you and then have it hauled away or find the registered owners to see what they want to do with it. Good luck
    There is no better therapy than a horse!

  4. #4
    Senior Member ThatSleepyTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    A lot of factors would determine if they could get a title for it or not. A lot depends on the state you're in. Here you would need to contact the sheriff or town, have them come look at it. They would record the serial number and check to see if it was reported lost or stolen. You may only be able to file for a title replacement if you are a "storage" or tow/repair facility and can hold a lein on it for storage or money owed. I guess a lot depends on your local/state laws. good luck!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member+ Kamara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    So Cal
    Usually you can just go get it in your name by filing for an abandoned vehicle title. At least in CA we do.

    Check your states DMV site - it should tell you what the procedures are for abandoned vehicles.

    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, "Where did the frigging ceiling go?!"

  6. #6
    Senior Member+ horses4me6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra-A1 View Post
    Just file for lost title......
    Second this. Where ever you go you go to get license plates will be able to walk you through what you need to do. I do also believe that you need to have someone come out and make sure that the vin number is acutally that motorcycle. If everything works out that way your parents will own a motorcycle.
    Socketts Cotton Joe aka "Bubba"

  7. #7
    Senior Member+
    Berlunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Laws vry from state to state and even county to county. Call your local DMV and ask what to do. For us we can file an abandoned vehicle form after the vehicle has been abandoned for x amount of time. It costs about $200-$300 to do this though
    When you sling mud you lose ground.

    This is the internet, anything you say will be misquoted and used against you. You have the right to not reply, but usually lack the ability. Your silence will be taken as an admission of guilt. Have a lovely stay!

  8. #8
    Senior Member+
    trish12's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Colorado, ontop my little green star :)
    Sweet what kind of bike is it ????? I'd call the DMV as well see if they can give you any info off the tags...Has to have a Vin # as well..look for that..SHOULD be SOMETHING in the system on it !!!!..I wish I would find an abandoned bike !!!!
    R.I.P Peanut. I miss you dearly. passed 12. 31. 2012

    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my panties.

  9. #9
    Senior Member CrazyHorseRanch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    call the DMV. they can tell you what you need to do to do it legally I'd have the VIN in hand or at least the plate # if the plates are still on it

    you might just have a motorcycle
    Crazy Horse Ranch
    Skeeter - Lynx - Betsey - Remington - Reana -
    R.I.P Hopper 6/17/1998 - 6/22/2012

    CHR Tack N More - Custom Horsehair Jewelry

  10. #10
    Senior Member+
    PyroTekNik333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The land of beer and cheese
    If it's really nice I'd try and get a title for it, the DMV/DOT should be able to help you.
    If it's only decent I'd just part it out.
    I'm not here to fit into your world I'm here to make my own

Similar Threads

  1. Motorcycle Choices
    By Blistering Winds in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 10:57 AM
  2. my motorcycle
    By JCH in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 07:00 AM
  3. Put a bid in for a motorcycle!
    By MissBandit in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 11:09 AM
  4. Motorcycle Course
    By MissBandit in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-25-2005, 06:23 AM
  5. New motorcycle
    By lynnloves739 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 06:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts